Tuesday, July 20, 2021

My Rewrite of 2015's "FANTASTIC FOUR"

(FANTASTIC FOUR Title Card, 20th Century Fox/Marvel Studios & Walt Disney Co. 2015)

For the past six years this film has existed. It's not a particularly well liked film and recently a friend of mine had been wracking his brain on what the worst Non-MCU Properties were and in the conversation we landed on "Fant4stic." I clearly remembered the film being better than he did and out of curiosity I re-watched it to really "see" the movie. I re-watched and found that the first 48 minutes was actually a top notch film. Great pacing, great character introductions, great character development. The first 48 minutes really is the best Fantastic Four movie we've ever gotten. The resulting hour or so after is a C- minus and maybe the worst Fantastic Four movie. I argue that there was too much good material in the film to really give it a total "F." Furthermore I felt that this last hour of the film could easily be saved with some minor alterations and a single major alteration. That's when I decided that I would do my own rewrite of the movie.

For this rewrite I decided to adhere to some rules. Firstly I pictured that this is a situation where before pre-production hit, I hand this in as a "Last Minute Rewrite" and that the basic spine and story of this would have been the movie. Secondly I devised some rules to help adhere to what I felt director Josh Trank wanted for his film, and what the studio, 20th Century Fox, were aiming for in rebooting the franchise. I recast no one as I've felt that the cast was never the problem. I did alter some character names but under the assumption that they would have been played by the same actor regardless. In this script I supply the ten rules I set for myself, and a letter of intent for anyone coming across this. Without further delay I present my 100 Page Rewrite of /"FANT4STIC"...

The Fantastic Four (2015) Fan Rewrite by Robert Garlen on Scribd


If you've enjoyed this little exercise and are interesting in something similar, let me know. I have already written a pitch document for another project that I felt could have been improved and I'm looking towards doing it more with other properties and maybe some original content in that vain. 

3 comments:

  1. Just finished it. I really dug it. You managed to combine the horror aspects that Trank was going for mixed in with a superhero story that actually worked. As a result, this is way better than the previous version. Overall,great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Means a lot that you enjoyed my take on it, thank you!

      Delete
  2. • "Twentieth Century-Fox", "20th Century-Fox", "Fox" and their associated logos are the property of Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation. TWENTIETH CENTURY-FOX, 20th CENTURY-FOX, FOX and associated logos are trademarks of Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation and its related entities.
    • "Twentieth Century Fox", "20th Century Fox", "Fox" and their associated logos are the property of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX, 20th CENTURY FOX, FOX and associated logos are trademarks of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and its related entities.

    ReplyDelete