Saturday, July 31, 2021

My Pitch for the Amazing Spider-Man 2 and the Sony Cinematic Universe!

(THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Title card, Sony Pictures.)

Many people don't know that in the early quarter of 2014, before The Amazing Spider-Man 2 released Marvel Studio's Kevin Fiege, as a favor, watched an early cut and gave numerous notes concerning the film. The first film was originally slated to be connected to the MCU, as animators working the VFX for The Avengers requested from Sony the permission to include Oscorp Tower in the New York Skyline. Sony, surprisingly enough, said 'Yes' but the answer came too late into the VFX work. The idea to include Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man was there from the beginning. What caused it to fall apart was Sony's insistence the final film worked as well as the decision to pursue their own Cinematic Universe.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is not a popular film. It's not considered a great film in any regard. I however liked it, more specifically I loved the performances. The film has faults, but none of them really belong to the cast. Still, the film is fundamentally "broken" and I began my little write up on how to fix it. That's what it started as, me writing a loose script treatment to fix the movie and work well with the previously established film (which I enjoy quite a bit.) In this write up I developed an Idea for the follow up film, then another film and soon it became ideas that spread through an entire cinematic universe. One that could have been diverse, interesting, and represent the characters as well as this universe could. With plans upon plans where to go, where to "refresh" the series and keep it going. I wrote up an entire pitch for a whole Universe. I doubt this is something as grand and Crowd pleasing as what the Marvel Cinematic Universe has done, I think it is an interesting way to have gone.

If you enjoy this please let me know in a comment below!

My Pitch for The Amazing Spider-Man Cinematic Universe by Robert Garlen on Scribd

No comments:

Post a Comment